Mar Lodge Bunkhouse, 24/25 November

There was a strong northerly wind driving snow and hail into our faces as we approached the summit of Sgur Mor.  Misted up glasses froze over as we stumbled over to the summit cairn, touched it with chilled fingers and fled into the lee of the hill.  One hundred metres lower down out of the wind and in sunshine we – Robin, Shona and Arthur – wondered if it was just that we were not yet used to winter conditions.  But John, Michael, Richard and Steve had exactly the same experience on Ben Breac, fighting the wind, touching the cairn and fleeing to shelter.

So, it was a windy Saturday for our first day on the weekend meet at Mar Lodge Bunkhouse.  Out of the wind it was a nice day: sunny with a covering of fresh snow on the hills.  Cerian reported similar conditions on Carn na Drochaide, north of Braemar; and Peter and Marion had a good day on Carn Mor.

The comfortable Mar Lodge Bunkhouse is in the old stable block of the Lodge.  The Lodge and estate are owned and managed by the National Trust for Scotland, which has embarked upon an extensive programme of deer control and conservation projects.  This year, the 29,000 hectare estate was designated as a National Nature Reserve.

Sunday saw everyone opt for relatively short days.  The roads as well as the hills were in winter conditions and we all wanted to get underway in daylight.  Peter and Marion opted for Carn Oighreag, a great viewpoint for the Northern Cairngorms, overlooking the gloomy Corgarff Castle.  Steve headed south to Glenshee, climbing Glas Maol and Crag Leachach – a second Munros round seems to be underway!  Cerian mixed local walks with essential retail activity before meeting up with the rest of us in the Bothy cafe.

The rest of us, with Kate – who had joined the meet the previous evening – followed in Cerian’s footsteps of the previous day, climbing Carn na Drochaide from the Linn of Quoich in cold, windy, but clear conditions.  We found some shelter in a drifted snow bank, but did not linger long and quickly descended to the Punchbowl, where the footbridge remains the only crossing over Quoich Water.