Tulloch meet, 16-17 February

Eleven club members had a great weekend at Tulloch Station Lodge bunkhouse.  Most hills tackled were defended by deep snow or forest lower down, but a couple of Munros, a Corbett and a Marilyn were successfully ascended on foot and snowshoes.  We enthusiastically celebrated a club member’s significant birthday (see below; who would have believed that he was so young?) and your scribe fell head first into a rather cold burn and also narrowly escaped the amorous clutches of Kevin’s lively hound.  It was all very good fun, apart from the burn and the hound incidents.

On Saturday, a trio of Steve, Dougie and Michael made their way through the woods near Burnside Cottage, eventually joining the usual way up Beinn Teallach.  Although there was a group ahead of them, the snow conditions made it hard work.  Summit found, they slip-slided their way back.  Skis would have helped.

Arthur, Nell, Robin and Shona set off for Cnap Cruinn along the old tramway from Fersit, but became bogged down in a mixture of deep snow, running water and mud.  They ended up following the old tramway and new forest road in a circuit of Meall Laire instead.

Another group of four people (Mel, Ewen, Richard and Kevin) and two dogs (Sky and Bracken) ascended Beinn Bhan, west of Gairlochy,  in mixed conditions but clear of the worst of the weather.  Great views of the Great Glen were had until after lunchtime, but a whiteout on the summit meant they had to search around on the plateau for the cairn.  It was a fairly brief day, but that allowed a trip to Nevisport for coffee and cakes.

On Sunday, Dougie and Michael, following in their footsteps, also went up Beinn Bhan from Errocht, describing it as a calf busting circuit; see top photo.

There was a lot of snow in Glenspean – that’s Stob Coire Easain above – so Steve, Richard (pictured below) and Ewen decided to go snowshoeing on Sunday.  Meall Luidh Mor to the south of Loch Laggan was conquered in very deep snow – hard going even in showshoes – and they were glad they hadn’t tackled anything more ambitious than 514m.

Arthur, Kevin, Nell, Robin and Shona went east to Aberarder and headed up Carn Liath initially in very deep, soft snow; conditions improved considerably from 600m upwards.  Poor visibility near the summit gave some navigation practice and the sight of avalanche tracks on the Sron a Choire spur of Creag Meagaidh on the descent kept them focussed.